In this super sized episode, our guest Chad Gervich (author, executive producer, TV writer and reality producer) tells you how to get a Hollywood agent — and so much more.
This Episode – How to Get a Hollywood Agent
Admit it, you want to know how to get a Hollywood agent. So did we. Today Chad Gervich, author of How to Manage Your Agent: A Writer’s Guide to Hollywood Representation tackles some tough questions, and gives you actionable advice (even if some of it is plain old tough-love advice.)
Don’t let the title fool you — this advice works if you’re a filmmaker, actor, writer, producer — anyone who might ever want to know how to get a Hollywood agent.
Just some of the stuff Chad covers about how to get a Hollywood agent:
- How to get, keep, and manage a Hollywood agent.
- Do you have to be at one of the big four agencies to have a career?
- Who controls 80% of the business in Hollywood?
- Are all big agents good agents?
- Who represents you, an agency, or an agent?
- When are you really ready for an agent?
- The best way to get an agent.
- Two things you need to get an agent.
- A career versus a hobby.
- Why you should never cold call an agent.
- Is it an agent’s job to get you work?
- The agent you REALLY want.
- 2 things your potential agent must have.
- How to communicate with your new agent.
- The importance of understanding your brand.
- Having a vision for your career.
- Discovering the best style of communication to use with your new agent.
- Your #1 Job AFTER you sign with a new agent.
- The best Star Wars trilogy (according to Chad.)
Press the giant PLAY button above to learn how to get a Hollywood agent — and have a great time during this super-sized episode.
About the Amazing Chad Gervich
An Inspiration for Aspiring Talent Everywhere
Chad has been a champion of new talent, and a guide to aspiring dreamers, for years.
One of the few teachers in the world who actually has a career in the field he teaches in, Chad Gervich is the rare kind of guy anyone would be lucky to know.
His new book How to Manage Your Agent is available now, and is probably the most practical approach to getting, keeping, and working with a Hollywood agent ever written.
He also wrote the indispensable Small Screen, Big Picture (our post about it) that covers everything about working in television, both scripted and unscripted.
Transcript coming soon!
Come Make a Show With Us!
Hint: we get people we work with their first agents quite often. So why not pitch some shows to us? Maybe we can help you get your show on TV and get an agent in the process.
So what’s next?
Read our in-depth page about how to pitch us a show. It also talks about what it’s really like to work in our business, the unscripted TV and film industry.