It’s episode 84 of Producing Unscripted, and today we’re having a crucial discussion about the illusive “lucky break.” We’re not just talking about finally catching your lucky break in Hollywood. We’re also helping you stay sane and survive until you do. We’ll help you explore the big picture along the way. Is this business right for you? Will it make you happy? How do you keep yourself going when things get tough? Should you get out all together? We give you honest answers, based on our many years working in this business. We want to help you decide if your Hollywood career is worth waiting for…your lucky break.
Does Your Lucky Break Equal Happiness?
To make it in Hollywood (or any business, for that matter) you eventually need to count on the one thing you really can’t control: luck.
No matter how good you are, no matter how great your material is — at some point, you need good, old fashioned luck if you’re really going to succeed.
Many will tell you that, “you make your own lucky break.”
That is so true.
It also doesn’t help you any when you’re fighting negative emotions and waiting for that chance to finally make your own luck.
And when that wait is over…will it have been worth it? Will you be any happier when you achieve the dream than when you were chasing it?
It’s these very questions (and doubts) that plagued us early in our career.
Now, we’re the first to say we’ve been lucky. We’ve had a few breaks that we know were the result of good fortune smiling upon us. Sure, we were ready for those breaks when they came…but they definitely didn’t arrive on our schedule! We talk about that in today’s episode, and discuss why the journey from initial hopes to lucky break can be illuminating and life-changing.
Still, we know, and you know, that when those lucky moments happen is totally out of anyone’s control.
Since You Can’t Control Luck, Control What You Can…
Since you can’t control how and when that break will come, we want to share how to survive until that lucky break hits.
Just some of what we cover today:
- How luck can become a lens to help you determine what really makes you happy
- Feeding your creative soul and why it’s important
- How to decide if Film and TV is really a business you want to work in
- Crucially important clues that are revealed by…your happiness
- Why Biagio decided to walk away from one of the biggest breaks of his life
- And…why we’re so peeved about Halloween this year! (Can you say “Fuddy Duddies?”)
Deciding to go into showbiz is a big decision. To be successful, you’ll need a lucky break. Figure out if that journey is right for you. Click that giant “Play” button above right now!
Transcript Coming Soon!
Helpful and Related Links
- Pressure is a Privilege – some of the best advice we EVER received in this industry, and a podcast ep you might have missed. That pressure is something you’ll no doubt feel while waiting for that big break to come.
- Survive Production: 7 Weird Tips Guaranteed to Save Your Sanity and Help Avoid Burnout – some of these will also help you stay creative when you’re feeling burnt on your long career journey.
- Another spooky discussion: 5 Scary Things about Producing TV Shows
Let’s Make Some TV Together
Trying to break into unscripted TV, reality television, or documentary series? Want to pitch to our company? Could we help provide your lucky break? Here’s how to find out:
Read our in-depth page about how to pitch us a show. It also talks about what it’s really like to work in our business, the unscripted TV and film industry.