Production hangovers? It’s episode 86 of Producing Unscripted, and today we’re being way too honest. Want truth? Production can burn you out! Doesn’t matter how much you love your film or TV project. Doesn’t matter how impressively it comes together. At the end of a project worthy of your passion, you will be fried. Production hangovers are real. Here’s how to get through the fog and come out more creative than ever.
Production Hangovers: Unavoidable. Kind of Awesome. Must Be Dealt With.
Today’s post and episode comes from a real place.
Last week we finished a highly satisfying TV series. But it was a totally grueling production schedule (they usually are).
Today, we started a brand new TV series (stay tuned for more!)
In between, we dealt with what we knew was coming: not the first, and certainly not the last, of many production hangovers that will litter our career.
On one hand, that hangover is FANTASTIC.
Why are you so drained? So fried? Because you’ve just given everything you have to make the best possible film or TV project.
On the other hand, that hangover will last a LONG time if you don’t take proactive steps to end it.
It Can Be Hard to Say “Good-Bye”
You’ve just lived and breathed your film or TV project every waking moment…possibly for months. Maybe years.
When it ends, you might feel like you’re in limbo. But you can’t let “postpartum depression” wreck you…or extend your production hangover.
After all, this is show business. And you need to move on to your next project.
Remember: You Are In Control (If You Want to Be)
Recovering is crucial…and completely up to you. YOU have to make that recovery active.
We’re here to help you do that (even as we work on doing it ourselves!)
Just some of what we cover today:
- Why you’ll always burn yourself out in production
- The Jedi mind-trick that will heal your brain and get your creativity back
- One thing you must give yourself permission to do
- A scheduling tip you can’t miss (even if Joke thinks Biagio is crazy for sharing it!)
- The special guest we’re bringing to you in two weeks
- And…what do Spicy Italian Sausage Meatloaf and massages have to do with any of this?
Want to work in showbiz? You’ll be dealing with production hangovers. Hit that giant PLAY button above and make sure your hangover is NOT a career-wrecker, just a badge of honor!
Transcript Coming Soon!
Helpful and Related Links
- Survive Production: 7 Weird Tips Guaranteed to Save Your Sanity and Help Avoid Burnout – you need to do these LONG BEFORE production hangovers set in. These tips will also ensure your friends and family don’t unfarily disown you.
- 5 Traits of Successful Film & TV Producers (And the Letter “L”) – for the part that comes after preparing for production, and before the production hangover.
- 3 Tips to Break Into Hollywood And Stay There – now that you won’t be suffering from production hangovers all the time, you’ll want to make sure your career lasts awhile.
- Follow us on Twitter: @JokeAndBiagio – we hang out there often and try to respond to most tweets.
Let’s Make Some TV Together
Trying to break into unscripted television, reality TV, documentary series, or true crime? Want to pitch to our company? Here’s how:
Sign up for our newsletter and you'll learn how to submit your unscripted concepts to us. You'll also learn how to develop, pitch, and sell reality TV shows and documentary series, and improve your filmmaking skills. From time to time we'll even tell you exactly what kind of shows we're looking for: